mail server recommendations?

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Mon Apr 12 18:39:45 PDT 2004

If you want something quick, easy and commercial, have a look at
surgemail from netwinsite.com. Has everything you want, and is very
reasonably priced. ($770.00 US for unlimited users) It won't scale well
~10k users per box (YMMV depending on hardware), but it can be
clustered. Whole thing can be configured and running in under an hour.
You get a really nice webmail interface, and the ability to "delegate"
control. Very nice if you don't want to manage hosted domains.

For open source solutions, we've had killer results with
postfix/amavisd-new/spamassassin/f-prot, courier-imap and teapop. All
can be used with a number of db's, from berkeley to oracle. We have one
corporate client comfortably running this config on P3 1ghz with 256mb
of RAM. The ~18,000 users are controled by SAP (SAP has a FreeBSD client
for DB access)

I noticed Communigate mentioned in this thread. It's a killer product,
but too expensive. They don't lie when they say it scales well. One of
the installs we've done has 9,000 users on a K6 2 500...

Bob