synchronising failover web servers

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Mon Apr 12 15:57:47 PDT 2004

So, say you have to update /usr/local/etc/httpd.conf. Would your
process be this:

* checkout cvs onto your workstation
* change httpd.conf
* check into cvs
* log into server
* update cvs repository
* run Makefile script which installs httpd.conf in the correct location
from the cvs repository and then executes 'apachectrl graceful'.
* repeat on secondary standby machine by running a Makefile which uses
ssh to trigger a remote Makefile

I've never really liked Makefiles, but I guess we could do something
very similar with shell scripts.

Thanks for the info. But what do you do about synchronising data
directories (eg. /usr/local/etc/www/data). In those cases you very
often can't put them into cvs. Do you use Unison or something similar?

Cheers
Ari Maniatis

On 11/04/2004, at 3:09 AM, Scott Lambert wrote:

> One word "Makefiles". :-) I have a lot of system configs in cvs.
> Eventually I'll have all of them.  Each subsystem config has it's
> own directory and I have Makefiles setup to work the subdirs where
> necessary.  We check the configs out in our home directories on each
> machine and run :
>
> $ make update install [test] [restart]

ish group pty ltd
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
http www.ish.com.au | email info at ish.com.au
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8