NAT and traffic shaping

Richard J Kuhns rjk at wintek.com
Mon Apr 12 07:18:52 PDT 2004

We have a customer (an apartment complex) who wants us to deploy a
FreeBSD box that will handle NAT for 400 to 600 machines (so figure
multiple connections per machine) and that can handle a steady 12 to 15
Mb of ethernet traffic, both directions. I'm sure we'll also want to do
some traffic shaping. Would anyone care to offer
suggestions/recommendations/horror stories about implementing this?
Specifically, how hefty a box should we use (RAM/CPU), and which version
of FreeBSD? We're mostly running 4.9-stable right now and it's been very
reliable. I've installed 5.2.1 on a couple of boxes with no major
problems, but they also haven't been heavily loaded.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
	- Rich
--
Richard Kuhns                   Wintek Corporation
E-mail: rjk at wintek.com          427 N 6th Street