WHOIS Server

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Wed Apr 7 09:09:20 PDT 2004

Hello people,

I am lost as to where to do whois queries these days. It seems that
every TLD extension has been assigned to some particular registrar (or
what do I call it?)
What is the sane way of doing whois for "any" domain extension
(.com/.org/.biz, etc)?
OpenSRS recently said they are limiting the number of queries/day that
a given IP range can do on their servers. Now this is restrictive, but
what if I have to run a script that will do more than the "allowed"
queries per day? I have to wait till next day and next day and ..

Is it sane to think that I can run my own local whois server/interface?
If yes, I'll appreciate some pointers. It would be nice if I had an
interface to whois on our website.

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121