FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE SMP Problem!

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Mon Sep 22 19:07:44 PDT 2003

On 10 Sep 2003 23:42:24 -0600, in sentex.lists.freebsd.isp you wrote:

>We currently have a Dual Athlon MP 2000+ Processor machine
>using an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard running the latest
>FreeBSD Stable source. What happened is the main drive in the
>machine decided to stop working so I put in a new hard drive
>and restore the system onto the machine using the restore command.
>I notice that now when the machine tries to boot up using the SMP kernel
>it gets to the point where it says "CPU #1 Launched" and then
>the machine reboots. I notice that if I boot the machine up
>with 1 processor kernel it boots just fine. After looking at
>the dmesg output it appears that a normal kernel would
>normally do:
>
>Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
>Mounting root from ufs:da0s1a

How recent is your stable ?  Also, you should post something like this
to the stable list.

I am running
4.9-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE #1: Thu Sep 18

on a dual
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) MP 2000+ (1666.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x662  Stepping = 2

Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
  AMD Features=0xc0480000<MP,AMIE,DSP,3DNow!>

Do you have INVARIANTS defined in your kernel by chance ?

	---Mike