Periodic Scripts

Scott Gerhardt scott at g-it.ca
Wed Mar 26 16:43:04 PST 2003

I have a number of web maintenance scripts (rotate logs, backups, systems
checks etc.).  Some of these scripts are run by periodic d/m/w and others
are run at specific times by cron.

My question is can I add a "periodic hourly" entry to crontab and create a
"/usr/local/etc/periodic/hourly" directory and put the hourly scripts in
this directory?  Will they be executed?

I don't want to pollute crontab with too many entries and I also want to
keep everything logical and well organized so that other SysAdmins
understand what I have done.  Where is the most logical standard place to
keep these custom scripts?

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

--
Scott Gerhardt, P.Geo.
Gerhardt Information Technologies [G-IT]