offline disk redundancy

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Thu Dec 11 05:08:38 PST 2003

We use dump and restore and have a firewire drive on our backup
server.

e.g. either "push" or "pull" the dump to your backup server

#!/bin/sh
#push a backup image to the server backupserver.example.com
#and place the gzip'd file in the path /backups/server

/sbin/dump -0uanf - / |gzip -5 | ssh -c blowfish
backupuser at backupserver.example.com dd
of=/backups/server/dump-root-l0.gz

/sbin/dump -0uanf - /usr |gzip -5 | ssh -c blowfish
backupuser at backupserver.example.com dd
of=/backups/server/dump-usr-l0.gz

/sbin/dump -0uanf - /var |gzip -5 | ssh -c blowfish
backupuser at backupserver.example.com dd
of=/backups/server/dump-var-l0.gz

To restore, plug in your new fresh drive
/stand/sysinstall
fdisk it, add the bootloader (all part of the fdisk process)
then use disklabel to partition to your liking either as big or big
enough to hold your data

mount the new drive under something like /mnt-root /mnt-usr /mnt-var
cd /mnt-root
zcar /backups/server/dump-root-l0.gz | restore -f -
....should work or if it does not take it from the pipe, gzip -d the
file first and then  cd /mnt-root and restore -f
/backups/server/dump-root-l0

	---Mike