Who are using FreeBSD for Hosting Env. and Which Update Method

Scottie Swenson swenson at heronetwork.com
Tue Dec 9 13:45:03 PST 2003

Greetings,

Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
>     I want to know Are anybody usingFreeBSD for their Web Hosting ( PHP +
> MYSQL + POSTGRE + APACHE ) Env. or Mail Hosting Env. I'm asking because I
> wonder Which Update method are you using ?

We have:
  1) a "build server" which mirrors the installation images for our server sets.
  2) a "source server" which keeps the ports tree up to date (cvsup, etc.) and
     is NSF mountable to the "build server" and each hosting server.
  3) We use the "build server" to build new packages for our environment using
portupgrade with the '-p' option to create custom binary packages.
  4) Then we have a script which can mount the ports tree, run portupgrade with
'-a -PP' options.

The -PP keeps things from updating we don't want updated yet. Hence we control
what updates when.

We are looking to automate the process using cfengine or similar product.

This method lets us have a test suite on the build server where we can back off
if needed while keeping things up to date.

Cheers,
Scottie