Serial line fbsd installation with no CD

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sat Apr 12 07:13:20 PDT 2003

Subject: Re: Serial line fbsd installation with no CD

Earlier in the linear time track, approximately Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 14:38 ,
&Jez Hancockdivulged this public information:

> I have two colocated servers in the US and I'm in the UK.
> I need to install FreeBSD 4.8 from scratch across a serial
> connection that exists between the two servers. The current OS
> are FreeBSD 4.6.2 and as such I am unable to adequately make
> world to the latest STABLE release.

> Further I do not have the option of installing from a CDROM
> installed on the server. Has anyone been in a similar situation
> and if so how did you resolve the problem?

What is ther problem with the makeworld you are having?

And are you really performing 'make world' and not 'make
buildworld' ?

I have several colocated servers and I perform OS upgrades
via a cvsup of the sources.   What are the problems with the
makeing the system.

Since these are production servers I'd almost be
inclined to say to go with the 4.7 pathched release.

I've not moved any to the 4.8 RELEASE yet as it still is a bit
'young' in my opinion.  I do have then on the 4.7's with the
lastest patch level

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com