UFS2 Limits

Tom Samplonius tom at sdf.com
Sun Apr 6 18:05:22 PDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Eric Germann wrote:

> Working on a project to stream MP3's via Zina and also
> add massive disk to the web server for storage of
> same.  On a FBSD5.0R server, whats the limit on a
> UFS/UFS2 "disk"?  We're looking at some of the
> external IDE->SCSI RAID chassis units with 200GB
> HDD's.  One can handle 16 drives.  Can UFS/UFS2 handle
> a 3TB partition?  If so, are there certain

  There is some stuff on the website about this.  With UFS1, the practical
filesystem limit is 1TB, but if you fool with block sizes, you could get
much more.  UFS2 supports much more than that.

  And there is nothing to prevent you from creating multiple filesystems.
You might want to do that anyhow.

> requirements in terms of memory, etc to mount the
> partition.  I haven't been able to find anything on
> the limits with new high capacity solutions.

  I don't think there are special memory requirements.  FreeBSD doesn't
need to allocate a lot of memory to mount a filesystem.  I know that some
OSes allocate an amount of memory proportional to the size of the
filesystem, but FreeBSD does not do that.

> Thanks for any input.
>
> Eric

Tom