freebsd-isdn-newbie doesn't know, where to start

Kai Krebber Kai.Krebber at krick.net
Mon Jun 19 11:30:41 UTC 2006

Hi!

Just started with freebsd in general and isdn for freebsd in particular.

Plugged in my Fritz-PCI-card into my 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD and started
reading the 'care and feeding of ISDN4BSD" from
www.freebsd-support.de/i4b

"5.1 Installation

Since FreeBSD 3.0 the isdn4bsd package is part of FreeBSD - while
writing this, this particular i4b version is part of FreeBSD 4.4 and up
and FreeBSD 5.0-current - and there is no need anymore to unpack, patch,
compile and install anything in the kernel."

Big smile on  my face.

But later:

"5.6.1 Compiling and Installing the Kernel

:

Now you can compile your new kernel;"

Oops?

Do I or don't I have to compile a new kernel in 6.0 to use my
Fritz-card?

root at mybox:~# ls -l /dev/i4b*

ls: /dev/i4b*: No such file or directory

Sniff.

I suppose, having these devices would be of great advantage, if I wanted
to use ppp over isdn with my internet-provider, correct? How do I get
them?

Cheers,

    Kai