faked caller number?

Ignatios Souvatzis is at beverly.kleinbus.org
Fri Apr 15 02:45:24 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:33:06AM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> I'm wondering why my outgoing ISDN number is causing incoming
> calls on another ISDN phonenumber while I definitely
> know that I'm not calling this number (since I don't know that number at all).
>
> The owner of that number came to me and asked me why I was calling him.
> I wondered.
>
> Is there a way to fake the outgoing caller phone number (with i4B) or some
> other ISDN software?

Most probably a number you did call (say, C) is call forwarding to that
other number.

If this is done by the telephone provider, instead of by initiating an
outgoing call and connecting the data paths, your number will still
appear as the originating one.

You should compare your clocks, then compare your call log files.

Less likely:

Somebody with a Provider License is calling them faking to be you, either
due to malice, or due to a typo.

Those people are normally:
- telephone service providers
- 0800 number owners who want the 0800 number to appear on your display

etc.

Another possibility:

some country prefix isn't transferred correctly, and it isn't you, but
$someothercountryprefix+yournumber that is calling them.

Regards,
	-is