How to support QUIC with ipfw

Matt Joras mjoras at freebsd.org
Sun Apr 11 21:20:41 UTC 2021

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Apr 11, 2021, 1:25 PM Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.  I noticed my firewall was dropping what seemed to be unsolicited
> UDP connections from Google and Facebook, but this turned out to be QUIC
> traffic. The traffic can be initiated by the browser (or other supporting
> software) or the server.  The problem is that dynamic rules generally don't
> cut it – udp traffic here is predominantly NTP and DNS, and the dynamic
> rule lifetime for UDP is very short (3-6 s).  And of course they don't work
> at all for traffic initiated by the server side.

QUIC connections aren't initiated by the server. The browser is initiating
these connections. I'm not an ipfw user, the best generic firewall strategy
would be to have some sort of flow tracking for ~30s for UDP flows
associated with tuples originating on the client for remote port 443. 443
will cover the vast majority of Internet cases, as QUIC is only being used
at scale for HTTP/3.