Dummynet pipe cascades

Patrick Zwickl patrick.zwickl at gmail.com
Fri May 23 13:53:23 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am currently experimenting with ipfw dummynet features (coming rather from the netem tc corner; so being new to dummynet and apologise for these kind of questions) and was wondering how to syntactically achieve "build cascades of pipes” listed on [1]’s front page. Unfortunately, I could not find a minimal example for this in the documentation (or I missed the point).

Background: I am currently looking for concepts allowing me to put some traffic into a pipe being followed by several queues, the scheduler and then reinserted into another pipe (optimally as clean as possible). So, basically, a cascade of pipes, optimally being able to consume from different other pipes or interfaces. From the statement in [1], I assume ipfw + dummynet could be the perfect playground for this, but from the syntax it was not clear to me how this is done.

Any pointer to a minimal example or any reading recommendation would be highly appreciated (maybe I have been searching the wrong channels so far). Thanks in advance for reading and potentially commenting :)

Best regards,
Patrick

[1] http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/dummynet/#3d2a