Where do the boot time messages go?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon May 12 20:41:20 UTC 2014

In message <20140512152327.A11699 at sola.nimnet.asn.au>,
Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

>... and scrolling back
>the VT0 root console should reveal it/them.

Thank you!

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I never even know about this console
feature until today.  It has already proved quite helpful to me in another
context, and I will most certainly be using it soon to try to see if in
fact I'm getting any boot-time errors from my ipfw setup.

> > While unlikely, have a look at /var/run/dmesg.boot.
>
>Worth a try.

Nope.  The boot-time ipfw messages are not in there either.

> > I see you have: firewall_logging="YES"
> > Isn't it possible to DEFINE the firewall LOG? :)
> > In other words; you ask it to log, but don't tell it WHERE. :)
> > Doing so should provide the answers you're looking for.
>
>In /etc/syslog.conf you should see:
>security.*					/var/log/security

Yes, quite.  I do have that.

But as I mentioned earlier, the boot-time messages relating to ipfw
startup don't seem to be present within the /var/log/security file,
and as someone else has mentioned, there's no reason that they should
be.  When my rules file is being processed, ipfw is most likely
(verbosely) showing each of those in turn, but just to either stdout
or stderr... and not syslogging them.

Regards,
rfg