Kernel memory leak in ipfw internal NAT 10-STABLE?

Karl Denninger karl at denninger.net
Mon Mar 17 13:32:08 UTC 2014

It certainly looks like there is one; with the internal NAT capability
enabled (which was fine in 9.2-STABLE) I have a very busy machine that
consumed all (~20+GB!) of its RAM into the "inact" bucket and was
threatening to deadlock -- it got rid of all the free RAM and slowly
started forcing the working set out onto swap as well.

None of the user processes showed a problem and killing them all did not
drop the allocation.  Nor did unloading everything I could unload from
the kernel either.

I reverted to running natd, and the problem has disappeared.    A quick
look through the commits doesn't show anything suspicious -- and this
was working fine on 9.2-STABLE.

Kernel rev is FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE #13 r263037M

--
-- Karl
karl at denninger.net