Need Help with dummynet sysctl settings or tuning

tvtube blog tvtubeblog at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 05:54:05 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I am trying to Create a Bandwidth Manager for our ISP with using Freebsd 8.0
+ dummynet + ipfw. I also want to do tuning kernel + dummynet + ipfw  using
sysctl and load.conf .I am using Xeon 2.4 Server with 2 broadcom Giga lan
Cards and  32 GB SSD and 2 GB RAM and I will bandwidth shaping for each ip
means every /32 for 4000 IP addresses.

I try to google for tunning these follwoing Dummynet settings but could not
dig deep into it. I love to know about every settings (use / min value / max
value / best value ) same for ipfw and tcp settings

For example:
net.inet.ip.dummynet.io_fast: 0   (what is this use for / min value / max
value / best value)
net.inet.ip.dummynet.ready_
heap: 64 (what is this use for / min value / max value / best value)
net.inet.ip.dummynet.hash_size: 64 (what is this use for / min value / max
value / best value)

and the rest  of settings but I love Know about them ...... if any one know
about any book , ebook , tatorial  etc etc etc  then please reply

Firewal# sysctl -a | grep dummynet
net.inet.ip.dummynet.debug: 0
net.inet.ip.dummynet.pipe_byte_limit: 1048576
net.inet.ip.dummynet.pipe_slot_limit: 100
net.inet.ip.dummynet.io_pkt_drop: 928
net.inet.ip.dummynet.io_pkt_fast: 132
net.inet.ip.dummynet.io_pkt: 649566
net.inet.ip.dummynet.io_fast: 0
net.inet.ip.dummynet.tick_lost: 0
net.inet.ip.dummynet.tick_diff: 247710
net.inet.ip.dummynet.tick_adjustment: 247672
net.inet.ip.dummynet.tick_delta_sum: 665
net.inet.ip.dummynet.tick_delta: 1000
net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_max_pkt_size: 1500
net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_avg_pkt_size: 512
net.inet.ip.dummynet.red_lookup_depth: 256
net.inet.ip.dummynet.max_chain_len: 16
net.inet.ip.dummynet.expire: 1
net.inet.ip.dummynet.search_steps: 662611
net.inet.ip.dummynet.searches: 649566
net.inet.ip.dummynet.extract_heap: 0
net.inet.ip.dummynet.ready_heap: 64
net.inet.ip.dummynet.hash_size: 64