ipfw, pipes, queues, weights and managing an Internet connection

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jun 12 23:43:03 UTC 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:10 PM, Lubomir Georgiev wrote:
>  Second, since I'm going to be making changes to your ruleset in
> order to
> match it to my needs could you please comment it a little because I'm
> relatively new to ipfw+dummynet and some of the lines seem *really*
> strange
> to me... I'm talking about the - iptos,proto,tcpflags, lowdelay and
> iplen
> commands. They don't make any sence to me and I couldn't find
> anything about
> the in the man pages... Maybe I'm just stupid? Would you please
> explain if
> you have the time....

You want to read "man ipfw" carefully.

The basic idea is that Mark is trying to match certain specific types
of traffic (ie, a packet with IPTOS_LOWDELAY set), or very short ACK-
only packets, in order to prioritize them over larger data-oriented
stuff like rsync in order to do better for interactive sessions, VoIP
traffic, and stuff like that.

--
-Chuck

PS: After you've read "man ipfw" carefully, think about it for a
while, play around with some simple rules, and then re-read it
again.  It's not quite as dense as RFC-793, but it's not far off,
either.  :-)