Enable ipfw without rebooting

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Sep 28 04:04:08 PDT 2005

Achim Patzner <ap at bnc.net> wrote:

 > > Try loading the IPFW KLD ("kldload ipfw").
 >
 > And remember - doing a "shutdown -r +10" before trying might be a
 > good idea - last time I did this I found out the hard way that the
 > kernel module was built with a default action of "deny all from any
 > to any".

No.  Performing a reboot is a rather bad idea.

A much better way would be a small "at" job that inserts
an appropriate "allow" rule:

# echo "/sbin/ipfw add 1 allow ip from any to any" | at + 5 minutes
# kldload ipfw

The same procedure is also useful when activating untested
changes to the IPFW rule sets.  If everyting went well and
you didn't get disconnected, use atrm(1) to remove the "at"
job.

Best regards
   Oliver