ISP redundancy and with IPFW

J.T. Davies jtd at hostthecoast.org
Mon May 24 15:08:50 PDT 2004

Hi Simon,

>From another IPFW newbie (myself), I solved it with the following:

The two router computers would use NATD to redirect the port traffic inside.

On the webserver (if you're fortunate enough to have FreeBSD on that, which
I did), I also enabled IPFW and used two rules:

The first would route traffic back to the .1 router if it came from that
router.  The second would be the same, but direct to .2.  I think I used the
forward action with IPFW.  (Forward to .1 if the traffic came from .1,
forward to .2 if the traffic came from .2)

I don't have that configuration anymore to share, but it worked rather well.
It may not have been the best solution (aside from installing another port),
but it did work well!

J.T.