ping timeouts

Lewis Watson lists at visionsix.com
Sat Mar 20 00:13:47 PST 2004

Hello,
I would greatly appreciate some advice on the following situation...

Ou goal is to use a FreeBSD box as a gateway/ router for several clients.
These clients are being provided Internet access through our network and
other than a few common worm holes blocked and bandwidth management they
should have open access.

We are passing traffic through the gateway at this time and bandwidth
management seems to work fine (when browsing or just doing normal stuff it
is not noticable) but when pinging  with a minimal load (one
client behind the gateway sending 500byte icmp packets) we
are getting around 15% to 25% timeouts. This occurs even if just pinging
the internal interface.

If we move the host from behind the gateway it has no problem pinging
another host.

This occurs even when we remove dummynet pipes and rules.

Also we have tried this on two seperate machines running FreeBSD 4.9.

NIC's are all 3com 3c905 (xl0, xl1)

I am using the following rules after rebuilding the kernel with the
additions mentioned below.

# Kernel Config Changes

options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10
options DUMMYNET
options HZ=1000

#  This is my attempt at a using IPFW to allow a very open network
#  It's essentially open except for a very few things.
# See Below, it's all commented.
#
fwcmd="/sbin/ipfw"

# Flush previous rules
${fwcmd} -f flush

# Block the Microsoft Worm :-), SQL in and Ident
${fwcmd} add deny udp from any to any 135-137,139,445
${fwcmd} add deny tcp from any to any 135-137,139,445,1434
${fwcmd} add reset tcp from any to any 113

# Stop draft-manning-dsua-03.txt (1 May 2000) nets (includes RESERVED-1,
# DHCP auto-configuration, NET-TEST, MULTICAST (class D), and class E)
${fwcmd} add deny all from any to 0.0.0.0/8
${fwcmd} add deny all from any to 169.254.0.0/16
${fwcmd} add deny all from any to 192.0.2.0/24
${fwcmd} add deny all from any to 224.0.0.0/4

# Each client would have an in and out pipe and their own subnet
#
${fwcmd} add pipe 1 ip from any to 192.168.1.252/30 in
${fwcmd} add pipe 2 ip from 192.168.1.252/30 to any out

${fwcmd} pipe 1 config bw 900Kbit/s queue 112Kbytes
${fwcmd} pipe 2 config bw 900Kbit/s queue 112Kbytes

${fwcmd} add 65000 pass all from any to any

Thanks,
Lewis