transparent squid bridge

Dan Vande More dvm at firstlink.com
Fri Mar 12 09:51:29 PST 2004

Hey all

Trying to get freebsd to do some simple redirecting using ipfw2.

Luigi Rizzo's patch isn't working.

http://www.freebsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14795

Applying the patch yields:

Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/sys/netinet/ip_fw2.c,v
|retrieving revision 1.6.2.16
|diff -u -r1.6.2.16 ip_fw2.c
|--- ip_fw2.c 17 Jul 2003 06:03:39 -0000 1.6.2.16
|+++ ip_fw2.c 22 Sep 2003 22:21:38 -0000
--------------------------
Patching file ip_fw2.c using Plan A...
patch: **** malformed patch at line 7: goto done;

Is this ever going to make it's way into the main source code?
Does any one have a working patch for this, the full file or an
alternative setup?

It doesn't matter which version of freebsd I have to run, I just need a
version.

All I really want is a box, with 2 network cards.
This box sits between users and the outgoing router acting as a bridge.
The box sees all outbound port 80 connections, diverts them to squid
running on itself.
Squid retrieves the site, caches the data, etc.

I can do it with openbsd/pf but openbsd in and of itself can't handle
much of a load.
Using the same rules in freebsd pf that I do in openbsd, can I expect it
to work?

Thanks!

Dan Vande More