bandwitdh is not limited

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Dec 28 09:59:52 PST 2004

On Sat, Dec 25, 2004 at 12:42:55AM -0800, Yudi wrote:
> I'm student who's doing final project about QoS in ipv6,
> Finally, I can use dummynet by changing FREEBSDv4.9 to FREEBSDv5.3 for limiting my local bandwitdh.
> But, i'm confused that the bandwitdh is not limited. I know that by using ethereal and some streaming video.
> the sintag is oke , here it is :
>
> # ipfw add pipe 1 ipv6 from any to any
> # ipfw pipe 1 config bw 10kbit/s
> # ipfw show
> 00100 0 0   pipe 1 ipv6 from any to any
> 65535 0 0   allow ip from any to any

The IPv6 keyword is only supported due to a feature of the parsing code
that treats it as "ip".  If you need IPv6 support, please apply the
patch at:

http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/patches/ipfw6.diff

I think it will apply to 5.3 with only minimal pain, but it was
generated against 6.x.  If you use 6.x, please make sure to remove
WITNESS from your kernel config as that caused an 80% performance hit in
one case.  In our lab.  Please reports any results.

-- Brooks