ipfw size mismatch?

Thomas S. Crum tscrum at 1wisp.com
Mon Oct 13 18:59:55 PDT 2003

Hello all,

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.8 release and am having problems getting
a dummynet bridge working.  Not that dummynet is the problem, I cannot
get the bridge itself working.  I keep getting an error at start: ipfw:
size mismatch (have 176 want 36) and when I enter: sh /etc/rc.firewall I
get the mismatch along with getsockopt(IP_FW_ADD): Invalid argument.

I have no ip addresses assigned to either of my two interfaces.

The kernel was rebuilt with the added options:

options		BRIDGE
options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPDIVERT (tried with and without this option)
options		IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options		IPFW2
options		DUMMYNET

I built the kernel with:

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL

I put these lines in /etc/rc.conf:

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="OPEN"
firewall_quiet="YES"
firewall_logging="YES"

Put these lines in /etc/sysctl.conf (where rl0 and rl1 are my NIC's):

net.link.ether.bridge_cfg=rl0:0,rl1:0
net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw=1
net.link.ether.bridge=1

I have used this same setup w/ 4.4 with no problem (of course lacking
the ipfw2 option).  Tried google with the errors I'm getting to no
avail.  Any help getting this bridge up will be appreciated.

Best,

Tom