dummynet bw limit problem

Peter Brezny peter at purplecat.net
Mon Oct 6 14:23:34 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I'm having difficulties with dummynet limiting connections when I set the
bw limit to anything greater than around 900 Kbit/sec.
Using pipes 1-8 below, even mixed and matched for asymmetric control work
fine, except when i bring in a pipe numbered 9 or greater.

I've tried changing the queue size from between 20Kbytes to 50Kbytes
I've tried increasing the buckets to 256

But no luck.

Interestingly, with the configuration below, if I ping a host on the
internet, tcpdump shows the request and the reply, but I get nothing on
the console.

If I mix and match the in and outbound pipes, I'll either get nothing on
the console, or:
ping: sendto: No buffer space available

On the system i'm testing from i've got:
sysctl net.inet.ip.fw.one_pass=0

#       traffic shaping test
        $fwcmd add pipe 9 all from any to any out via $oif
        $fwcmd add pipe 10 all from any to any in via $oif
#
#       pipe configuration.
#       odd pipes are for outbound connections
#       even pipes are for inbound connections
        $fwcmd pipe 1 config bw .064Mbit/s
        $fwcmd pipe 2 config bw .064Mbit/s
        $fwcmd pipe 3 config bw .128Mbit/s
        $fwcmd pipe 4 config bw .128Mbit/s