Understanding queue size

Martin Bartelds bts at iae.nl
Fri May 23 08:52:56 PDT 2003

I think you should consider to use xmit/recv in stead of in/out via.
This because the in/out via seems to be related to the direction
of the TCP pipe and not the direction of (heavy) packet flow.
You can test this using FTP transfers. You'll probably notice
a huge difference in SSH response, if you initiate the transfer from
your local system compared to an initiation from the outside, despite
the heavy flow going out.

You also might consider the consequences of http and active/passive FTP transfers.

/Martin.