Using IPFW as a traffic limiting solution?

jeremie le-hen le-hen_j at epita.fr
Thu Jul 31 13:17:59 PDT 2003

> A) I want to be able to INSURE bandwidth without limiting it in dead
> times.  In other words, 10.1.0.0/16 should be able to always have
> 250kbit/sec available, but if noone else is using bandwidth, allow it
> to go as high as possible.

AFAIK, dummynet(4) is not able to achieve this kind of requiements : you
can set a higher threshold for traffic speed, you can prioritize traffic,
but ensuring a minimum bandwidth is not possible.
But Luigi will maybe stick out from his hat a cunning way to achieve this
kind of stuff... ;-)

Otherwise, ALTQ in conjunction with IPFilter will certainly be your friend,
but I'm not aware of any documentation on this.

> B) I want to be able to mark some clients as always limited.

dummynet(4) is perfect for this.

> C) I want to be able to set up multiple "classes" (right now using
> 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, etc) with their own insurance on bandwidth.

See the "mask" keyword in DUMMYNET part from ipfw(8) manpage.

--
Jeremie aka TtZ/TataZ
jeremie.le-hen at epita.fr