InfiniBand supported hw

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu May 26 19:55:54 UTC 2016

> On May 26, 2016, at 12:33 PM, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:

>>> Yep, they should work.  You may need to flash them with their Mellanox equivalent
>>> firmware, but I'm not sure.  (doing that flash isn't very hard btw)

>>> Not sure, as I've not needed to personally.  None of my storage (or other uses)
>>> even fills one DDR port.  Yet. :)
>>>
>>> I *think* the answer to that is yes,
>> It depends on what you mean by "use both ports." You can of course use both ports at the same time, but if you're envisioning something like an IPoIB version of an Ethernet LAGG I don't think that is supported.
>>
>> If you are using the IB for storage protocols, then active/active multipathing is one way to utilize the full bandwidth of multiple ports.

>>> Again not sure.  Other people here would likely know. :)
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I was hoping for, a sort of LAGG to double the speed of the link between computer by utilizing both ports together. LAGG is independent from the network interface, if I could set up an IPoIB NIC for each port separately what could prevent me from creating a LAGG interface on top of them? And if that's not supported, what do people usually do with the other interface? Just leave it unconnected?

LAGG is designed to work with Ethernet. InfiniBand is a very different layer 2 technology with its own advantages and disadvantages. I don't want to get too far out of my depth so I'll just suggest you do your own research on the subject.

How you use the second port is entirely up to you. You can use it for separate applications, for redundancy or higher throughput. In my experience it usually makes sense to give it its own IP. If you want higher bandwidth than a single port can provide then you should at layer 3 or higher for ways to aggregate bandwidth. (You should also do some research on PCI-e throughput. A x8 PCI-e 3.0 slot maxes out well before 112Gbit/s.)

As I mentioned previously you can use active/active multipath to get more throughput for block storage applications. You could also run a routing daemon and do ECMP for any layer 3 traffic. Or your particular application may have other ways to intelligently use two distinct IPoIB paths.