InfiniBand supported hw

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Thu May 26 17:44:35 UTC 2016

On May 26, 2016, at 11:07 AM, Justin Clift <justin at postgresql.org> wrote:

> On 26 May 2016, at 14:00, Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:
>> Is 500EX-D supported on FreeBSD? I read that it's a Voltaire version and it is the same as Mellanox ConnectX, which supposed to be supported.
>
> Yep, they should work.  You may need to flash them with their Mellanox equivalent
> firmware, but I'm not sure.  (doing that flash isn't very hard btw)
>
>> Also, most InfiniBand cards provide two ports. When connecting two computers together (IPoIB) is it possible to use both ports to double the speed?
>
> Not sure, as I've not needed to personally.  None of my storage (or other uses)
> even fills one DDR port.  Yet. :)
>
> I *think* the answer to that is yes,

It depends on what you mean by "use both ports." You can of course use both ports at the same time, but if you're envisioning something like an IPoIB version of an Ethernet LAGG I don't think that is supported.

If you are using the IB for storage protocols, then active/active multipathing is one way to utilize the full bandwidth of multiple ports.