Kernel modules

Jason Bacon bacon4000 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 02:06:13 UTC 2016

That's *about* right.  Unfortunately, I remotely rebooted this afternoon
and the server didn't come back online, so I can't provide any more
details until next week.

To continue the conversation, though, I'm wondering if it's possible yet
to set up IB without a buildkernel + buildworld.  Last I checked, it was
still necessary to do a buildworld with WITH_OFED=yes in /etc/src.conf,
even if using kernel modules, but there are at least a few of us arguing
that the userland tools should support IB by default.  I think the risk
to stability is minimal.

Ultimately, in order to use OFED with stock FreeBSD systems in the data
center, many of us will need to be able to run freebsd-update without
breaking our IB config.  It's not practical to do a buildworld and
possibly a buildkernel for routine security patches. It seems very close
to feasible at this point to use FreeBSD for IB enabled HPC clusters,
but routine maintenance will have to be made more efficient.

This is a topic I'd like to document on the wiki once I'm caught up on
the current situation.

Cheers,

     Jason