IBSRP and switches

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Feb 10 17:39:35 UTC 2015

On Feb 10, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Ron Croonenberg <ronc at lanl.gov> wrote:

> From what I understand IBSRP is a point to point protocol and cannot be switched over an IB switch, correct? (and the presented devices cannot be see by initiators 'through' a switch.

At $work we use SRP over InfiniBand with lots of switches in the mix. Never had an issue.

> Is there a 'scsi protocol' that I can run over IB that can be switched?

Unfortunately, there isn't currently SRP support on FreeBSD. There is RDMA support, so it might be feasible to port the SRP code from Linux, but I haven't really looked in to it.

There's always iSCSI. FreeBSD 10.0 saw the addition of the kernel-based target and initiator (with some improvements since), but I don't think it takes advantage of RDMA or other acceleration techniques when used with InfiniBand. I'd love to be wrong. :)

JN