Mellanox MT25418 performance IPOIB?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Apr 17 17:22:13 UTC 2014

--On 17 April 2014 08:01:47 -0500 Jason Bacon <jwbacon at tds.net> wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> What type of network are you running?  DDR?  QDR?  FDR?  Switch and HCA
> models?

Ok, still 'new' to IB - I've basically just got two MT25418 cards running
back to back in two machines.

'ibportstate' seems to tell me I'm running LinkWidthActive 4X,
LinkSpeedActive 5.0Gbps.

> FYI, with some tuning effort, I was able to get up to 600 megabytes/sec
> both ways over DDR IB from a CentOS NFS server with 12 SATA disks on a
> PERC H710, ext4, RAID 6.  Might be able to do a little better with
> FreeBSD and ZFS where IB is providing 7.5gb/sec.

I'm planning on using these cards for HAST between two boxes running ZFS
(so they're just doing TCP/IP duties). Though at the moment I've not been
overly impressed with HAST's performance (even running with 'none' as the
secondary) - it seems to dull the IO performance of any disks it's using
even when just reading.

I'm going to give it the benefit of doubt though and just build the boxes
up, sling a bunch of drives in and see what the performance comes out as.

-Karl