Supported NICs

Anthony Cornehl accornehl at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 03:38:10 UTC 2013

On Sep 15, 2013 8:17 PM, "Anthony Cornehl" <accornehl at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2013 1:20 PM, "Jason bacon" <jwbacon at tds.net> wrote:
> >

> > Is there a list of supported IB NICs out there somewhere?
> >
> > I followed the wiki instructions for rebuilding with IB support and now
have mlx4ib, mlxen, etc.

> > Was hoping there would be man pages for the drivers that list known
working cards, but there don't seem to be.  I'm hoping to test a file
server using IPOIB and possible roll a FreeNAS ISO with IB support if it
works out.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >   Jason W. Bacon
> >   jwbacon at tds.net
> >
> >   Circumstances don't make a man:
> >   They reveal him.
>
> Hey Jason,
>
> Mellanox ConnectX series cards are the only ones supported currently...
>
> http://www.mellanox.com/page/infiniband_cards_overview
>
> Don't forget to compile with IPoIB as well, since the IPoIB support is
compiled into the driver, unlike in Linux.

> Just be aware that IPoIB performance is also improved by enabling
connected mode when you compile the kernel module. The IB code in FreeBSD
is a few years older the what is in Linux, but, the following forum thread
is probably relevant...

http://forums.servethehome.com/networking/1554-infiniband-ipoib-performance-problems.html

> Cheers!

It also appears that Jeff fixed SDP a few weeks ago, which is more capable
of reaching line-speed for IB-connected devices.

http://pkg-ofed.alioth.debian.org/howto/infiniband-howto-7.html

Cheers!