Infiniband experiment environment setting up

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Tue Nov 20 18:59:57 UTC 2012

On Nov 18, 2012, at 21:53 , Daichi GOTO <daichi at bsdconsulting.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Currently, we are getting ready to test InfiniBands on FreeBSD
> using follow devices:
>
> 	CPU:		Intel Xeon E3-1240v2
> 	M/B:		Super Micro X9SCM
> 	RAM:		Kingston KVR16E11/8 (8GBx4)
>
> 	IB Card:	Mellanox Technologies ConnectX-2 VPI MHQH19B-XTR
> 	IB Card:	Mellanox Technologies ConnectX-3 VPI MCX353A-QCBT
> 	IB Switch:	Mellanox Technologies EXW-IS5022
> 	QSFP cable:	MC22096-130-001
>
>  Is there some information about above InfiniBand devices?

Well it's only the cards you have to worry about.  I know the ConnectX-2 works
but have not tested the ConnectX-3.

Also, note that it depends on what you are testing.  That is, Infiniband has low
latency at low payloads.  The numbers quoted by Mellanox about low latency depend
on you sending one byte (yes, 1 byte).  At real packet sizes Infiniband is no faster than
10GbE.

Best,
George