2009 Update

"C. Bergström" codestr0m at osunix.org
Sat Nov 7 22:45:36 UTC 2009

Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 09:52:25AM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>
>> 3.  More compiler and debugger work. GCC is really not good for
>>      ia64. I'm planning on refocusing some of my attention towards
>>      compiler work. Related to this is the debugger. GDB is not
>>      lacking severely on ia64. Note that I don't plan to fix GDB.
>>      Neither will I fix GCC. I'll be looking elsewhere.
>>

> This seems a major undertaking. Also, what will happen to
> a miriad of GCC-dependent ports?

I'm willing to make PathScale's PathDB CDDL or possibly BSD licensed.
I've been planning this for months, it has the green light and I'm the
bottleneck.  If there's interest it could serve a dual purpose of
building a providing a more liberal licensed debugger for the BSD
community/open source and share the workload beyond the ia64 community.
I've not reviewed the code to know the quality, but I'm happy to give
anyone access to the source.  Once the headers are updated and there's a
plan going forward we can make it publicly available.

http://hg.pathscale.com
Just let me know your username and I'll give you access.

It may also be possible for PathScale's compiler to be getting a major
improvement in the near future that would benefit IA64 and other
targets.  It's still uncertain, but I'd love to see it happen.  Parts of
our fully open source compiler project are being held up by some legal
issues beyond my control.  The parts that are pending wouldn't inhibit
finishing our BSD port and or get in the way of anything ia64 related.

Between now and after SC09 (SuperComputing) I apologize if I'm slow to
respond to emails.  irc is best for quick questions or to say hi..

Christopher

CTO PathScale
#pathscale irc.freenode.net

(Sent from my open source email)