SGI Altix 450

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Fri Dec 18 17:29:00 UTC 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 1:37 AM, Marc Lörner wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an SGI Altix 450 NUMA system here and I'd like to
> run FreeBSD on it.
> So my first question has anyone done this right now?

I'm not aware of that.

> I already found wiki-page wiki.freebsd.org/ia64/BootLoader where
> changes/thoughts of BootLoader for NUMA support are described!
> So my next question is:Is there some work being done for FreeBSD
> running on NUMA systems? If yes, what is the status of this work?

No real work, and the loader changes haven't been done
either due to lack of "need".

> As I don't have time left this year, I will try to run
> BSD on my box next year and let you here about success
> or failures.

It'll fail hard. The SGI machines typically don't have
physical memory in the first 1GB, which we assume. We
load the kernel at a fixed physical address and that's
the first thing we need to change.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt at mac.com