ia64 kernel config

Marcel Moolenaar xcllnt at mac.com
Tue Dec 15 08:26:09 PST 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 7:02 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> BTW: I have mine here:
>> http://ns1.xcllnt.net/~marcel/machines/ia64/hob/HOB
>
> Marcel, why do you build GPT support as a module,
> and not straight in the kernel? I thought you need
> GPT support for ia64 in any case. Am I wrong?

I'm a developer. I wrote GEOM_PART. Building them all
by default and having them as modules helps me test
the various partitioning schemes.

If you look closely, you'll see "device scc" in my
config as well. There's no need for it to be there,
because I don't have the hardware in my ia64 box.
But, I wrote the driver and this way I keep it
included when I change something in uart (which I
wrote too).

> In particular, if one uses GEOM_MIRROR for root
> partition, I imagine GPT module must be loaded
> prior to mirror creation. Am I right?

Yes. Remember that modules can be loaded from the
loader, prior to booting the kernel. In that sense
there's virtually no difference from having them
compiled-in.

FYI,

--
Marcel Moolenaar