Unable to write data on disk

YipKei Kwok yipkeikwok at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 12:49:56 PST 2006

Hi Marcel,

I tried FreeBSD 6.1 today, I still get exactly the same error after
defining partitions.

ERROR: Unable to write data to disk da1!

I referred to the errata for 6.1 at the following URL.
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/errata.html
Here is a similar error, I think, posted.

(2006/05/27, updated 2006/06/01) On FreeBSD/alpha, sysinstall(8)
sometimes does not allow a disk to be labeled. The disk is presented
in sysinstall(8) but actions like Auto do not result in a disklabel
being presented. One workaround is to boot the install CD, then select
Fixit. From the Fixit# prompt, run disklabel(8) manually. For example:
disklabel -rw da1 auto ensures a valid disklabel is written onto da1.
Reboot from the install media. sysinstall(8) will now detect a valid
disklabel on the disk and allow it to be partitioned to your
preference.

Although it states that it happens on FreeBSD/alpha, I tried to fix my
problem using the same way. After I selected Fixit, I picked option 4
(Start an Emergency Holographic Shell) from the following menu.

X               Exit                     Exit this menu
2               CDROM/DVD       Use the "live" filesystem CDROM/DVD
3               Floppy                 Use a floppy generated from the
fixit image
4               Shell                   Start an Emergency Holographic Shell

Then, I got the following messages.

DEBUG: Doctor: I can't set the controlling terminal.
Type ``exit'' in this fixit shell to resume sysinstall

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

No matter I tried `disklabel' or `bsdlabel', the following error
message was shown.

disklabel: not found

or,

bsdlabel: not found

If the solution provided in the errata does not apply on IA-64, that's
OK. What I want is to have my disk partitioned and have my Itanium
machine installed with FreeBSD.

I am looking forward to hear from you. Thank you very much!

Regards,
Yipkei

--
Web site: