i386/158653: installing PC-BSD 9 Current with legacy USB Keyboard doesnt work

Marcus marcus at maschke.de
Tue Jul 5 01:20:10 UTC 2011

>Number:         158653
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       installing PC-BSD 9 Current with legacy USB Keyboard doesnt work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Hi!

 Im familiar with Linux an Windows. Had installed FreeBSD in a Virtualbox without problems and wanted to install PC-BSD on my PC.

 I downloaded FreeBSD 9 Current 20110701 i386 CD. I use an Trust USB-Keyboard with URL http://trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14842 (14967).
 The discs boot fine into graphical GUI on my pc.
 When the install interface comes up, my keyboard doesnt work.

no keyboard. no Mouse/no trackball working

 I asked google,proof enable legacy-drivers for USB keyboards, which is in BIOS working ok.
My keyboard has no PS/2.

 I will appreciate any answers and suggestions, if anyone could get me some light into this cloudy problem.
 My hardware is working fine otherwise, memtest ok. I have a ubuntu and a windows7/xp install, works fine.

 Thanks!
>How-To-Repeat:
on every restart bios is working ok with legacy usb setup, but then later after cd-boot there is no function
>Fix:
starting windows7 and ubuntu 11.04 the keyboard is working normal also with integrated trackball, no idea what todo with pcbsd

searchengine results here:
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=13246&highlight=legacy+keyboard
(solution bios update has been checked)

it looks like i have the latest bios 1.7j:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=327&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=0

or:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?CategoryID=1&DetailID=63&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=24&LanID=4

another keyboard link in german: