i386/146718: We can create a file in /etc with simple user using chpass

Remko Lodder remko at elvandar.org
Thu May 20 06:20:05 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR i386/146718; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko at elvandar.org>
To: Paul Rascagneres <rootbsd at r00ted.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: i386/146718: We can create a file in /etc with simple user using chpass
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 08:10:52 +0200

 On May 18, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Paul Rascagneres wrote:
 >=20
 > I think it's strange to create temp file in /etc... Why put it on =
 /tmp?
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > I mention it on full description.
 >> Fix:
 > I think you need to modify the tempname in the file =
 /usr/src/lib/libutil/pw_util.c to put it on /tmp

 /tmp might be on a different file system (which is the case if you use =
 automatic assignment), making it impossible to use this
 tool within single usermode for example. I think the default is fine.

 --=20
 /"\   Best regards,                        | remko at FreeBSD.org
 \ /   Remko Lodder                      | remko at EFnet
 X    http://www.evilcoder.org/    |
 / \   ASCII Ribbon Campaign    | Against HTML Mail and News