i386/144808: xbox 360 unable to connect to ath in hostap mode

Jake Baillie jake at stnlabs.com
Tue Mar 16 23:40:02 UTC 2010

>Number:         144808
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       xbox 360 unable to connect to ath in hostap mode
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD babel.geejoon.com 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #2: Tue Feb 23 23:47:31 EST 2010     root at babel.geejoon.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BABEL-ATHDEBUG-ALTQ  i386

(re-posted from: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2010-February/024646.html)

I'm having trouble getting an Xbox 360 to connect to my newly upgraded
FreeBSD based wireless access point. The Xbox 360 can successfully
locate the AP in a scan, but when trying to connect it simply fails.

I'd like to request some help in debugging this as I have no idea where
to start.

The FreeBSD box is running 8-RELEASE.

Datapoints:

1. The Xbox connected successfully to my FreeBSD 7-RELEASE based AP with
no issues.

2. The Xbox connected successfully to multiple off the shelf consumer
grade APs I have sitting around.

3. The Xbox cannot connect to a Linux based AP using madwifi-0.9.4 or
later trunk versions. It also cannot connect using the (more recent)
ath5k driver on Linux. I only mention this as I tried setting up a
Slackware box out of frustration to no avail. (FYI - there is a very old
ticket on the madwifi site that was never closed with the exact problem
that I am having: http://madwifi-project.org/ticket/1509)

4. Many other devices are connecting successfully to the 8-RELEASE AP
including a couple of netbooks, a laptop, a Canon wireless printer, an
iPod touch, a BlackBerry, and an Apple Wireless bridge.

5. The network is using WPA2-PSK through hostapd. Turning off
authentication and opening the network completely does not help.

--

The hardware is a Cisco Aironet PCI card with an Atheros 5212 chip:

# dmesg | grep ath

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xe1300000-0xe130ffff irq 16 at device 4.0 on
pci5
ath0: [ITHREAD]
ath0: AR5212 mac 5.9 RF5112 phy 4.3

# ifconfig ath0
ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
2290
        ether 00:40:96:b8:13:53
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
<hostap>
        status: running

# ifconfig wlan0
wlan0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric
        ether 00:40:96:b8:13:53
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
<hostap>
        status: running
        ssid freebsd channel 6 (2437 Mhz 11g) bssid 00:40:96:b8:13:53
        regdomain FCC3 indoor ecm authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED
        deftxkey 3 AES-CCM 2:128-bit AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpower 21
scanvalid 60
        protmode CTS wme burst dtimperiod 1 -dfs