i386/150052: wi(4) driver does not work with wlan(4) driver for Lucent Orinoco Cards

Ted Nolan tednolan at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 27 21:20:07 UTC 2010

>Number:         150052
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       wi(4) driver does not work with wlan(4) driver for Lucent Orinoco Cards
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD pulot 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Mon Jul 19 02:55:53 UTC 2010     root at almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I have a number of Lucent Orinoco/Wavelan 16-bit PCMCIA 802.11b WI-FI cards.  These are excellent cards, dependable with great radio performance.  I have been using these on FreeBSD from FreeBSD 4.X through FreeBSD 7.X, using the "wi(4)" driver.  When I switched to 8.X with 8.1-RELEASE, and attempted to use these cards with the "wlan(4)" driver, they do not work.

The cards are still identified when plugged in, and binding them to the wlan driver produces no error messages, but no networking happens.

I have tried this on IBM Thinkpad A22m/2628 systems and Lenovo Thinkpad T61 systems.

>How-To-Repeat:
Take a known good card:

pulot#
[Insert Card]
wi0: <Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 11 function 0 config 1 on pccard0
wi0: [ITHREAD]

pulot# ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev wi0
wlan0: Ethernet address: 00:02:2d:c0:21:ca
pulot# ifconfig wlan0 up
pulot# ifconfig wlan0 scan
 (hangs forever)

>Fix:
None known.  Using a D-Link card DWL-G630 card works and the ath(4) driver works OK, but I have only one such card and many Lucent cards.