i386/139232: Kernel panic (spin lock held too long)

kaN5300 kan5300 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:20:07 UTC 2009

>Number:         139232
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Kernel panic (spin lock held too long)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Hello. We have SMP-enabled billing server (Netup UTM5, MySQL). It was working perfect more then year with big uptime. Иге recently our server started to freeze with such an error:

spin lock sleepq chain held by 8xc97e61 for > 5 seconds
spin lock held too long (reasonable load)
cpuid =3

It repeats in a period of 1 week or so. Now we are turning on kernel debugging mechanisms and preparing to use gdb and so on...

We are interested, what is the nature of this panic (HW or SW).
-