i386/140448: BTX loader hangs after displaying BIOS drives

Robert Bauer rbauer at snowcompanies.com
Tue Nov 10 16:10:01 UTC 2009

>Number:         140448
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       BTX loader hangs after displaying BIOS drives
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am trying to boot from the 7.2-RELEASE-bootonly CD.

System is a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC, with dual CPU's and 2GB RAM, and a 3ware 9550sx (PCI-X) raid controller.  The system is configured to boot from a SCSI drive attached to the integrated LSI Logic scsi controller.  The 3ware raid card is used for additional storage.  With the 3ware raid card installed, attempting to boot from the install CD produces the following output:

CD Loader 1.2

Building the boot loader arugments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Reloacating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX loader

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS CD is cd0
BIOS drive A: is disk0

After this, the system seems to hang.  There is no further output.

If I remove the 3ware raid card, the CD appears to boot normally.

I have verified this behavior is also the same using the 8.0-RC2-bootonly CD.

>How-To-Repeat:
Reboot system
Not known.  Found another user with a similar problem, but a slightly different 3ware raid controller.  (See http://unix.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc/2009-08/msg00034.html)  His solution was to use boot loader from 7.0 in place of the 7.2 loader.