i386/134690: 7.2 disc1, bootonly and livefs cds not recognized as bootable

Joe fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Tue May 19 00:10:02 UTC 2009

>Number:         134690
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       7.2 disc1, bootonly and livefs cds not recognized as bootable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Running 7.1 which was installed from disc1 disk. Trying to do clean install of 7.2 from desc1. This computer has run every release of Freebsd since 4.0. Downloaded disc1 and bootonly and livefs iso files because the 7.2 release announcement says this.

Note: late in the testing cycle it was discovered some machines do not recognize
the i386 disc1 as bootable (they just fall through to booting off the next boot device). All affected machines did see the other discs as bootable. If you have a machine with that problem booting off either bootonly or livefs and then swapping in disc1once sysinstall starts should work.

In my case I have the described booting problem with disc1, livefs and the bootonly disk.

These are bootable on different computer so know they are good.