i386/129149: 6.4-RC2 page faults during kernel-mode boot process

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Mon Nov 24 13:30:01 PST 2008

>Number:         129149
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       6.4-RC2 page faults during kernel-mode boot process
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
cpu2: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
cpu3: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x0
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc06d01cd
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xc1020ad8
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xc1020ae4
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 (swapper)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 1s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

This hardware boots 6.2 and 6.3 just fine.  This problem is new with 6.4.  I've confirmed the problem with the entire class of machines, this isn't limited to just one system.  I tested on 4 different rackable systems dual-intel motherboards and all demonstrate this problem.

I have a test system I'd be happy to ship to someone, or set up for remote console access.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install 6.4RC-2 from CD.
Reboot
>Fix: