i386/116275: Memory Leak with cp in ntfs

Tom Donnelly tad1214 at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 21:30:02 PDT 2007

>Number:         116275
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Memory Leak with cp in ntfs
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD Cardinal.donnelly.servebeer.com. 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #5: Wed Sep  5 18:25:42 CDT 2007     TDonnelly at Cardinal.donnelly.servebeer.com.:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CARDINAL  i386

freeBSD 6-stable
KDE 3.5.7
Xorg 7.2

Whenever I do a copy from an NTFS partition using the default ntfs reader, (mount -t ntfs /dev/ad0s1 /mnt) with big files, My memory fills until full. I have 2 GB of ram and copying a 600mb file from My Documents in windows to my home in freeBSD.

Here is what I did step by step. It does this consistantly.
Open a konsole (terminal)
su
mount /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
cd /mnt/path/to/my/file/
cp filename ~/
(Memory begins to fill until full)
(file copy finishes)
(Memory drops about 100-200mb below full)

And the memory stays full until I reboot. I feel this is serious being that if this was a server, I would have to take down a production server to restore performance.