i386/111063: ipfw compiliation problem (buildworld)

Peter Sanchez pjs at petersanchez.com
Sat Mar 31 17:00:11 UTC 2007

>Number:         111063
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       ipfw compiliation problem (buildworld)
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
This is a new server being setup. The OS was initially installed in January but the machine is being taking live now. I used cvsup9.freebsd.org to cvsup to the latest -STABLE on 3/30/2007 about 9pm PST. During the buildworld process I had compialation errors with /usr/src/sbin/ipfw/ipfw2.c at line 3976. The line shows:

action->len = F_INSN_SIZE(ipfw_insn_pipe);

(same line is also on line 3981)

The error is that ipfw_insn_pipe was undeclared. Sorry, I didn't save the actual make error output, but it was just that the variable was not declared previously. I saw no other instance of ipfw_insn_pipe in the source for ipfw, so I changed the 2 lines to the following:

action->len = F_INSN_SIZE(ipfw_insn);

ipfw_insn appears to be a valid struct variable and is used in other places in the ipfw source. Once I made this change ipfw compiled normally and buildworld was successful. Not sure if this is correct or not, but I don't use ipfw anyways, so I'm happy. Just wanted to report it.
>How-To-Repeat:
Simply cvsup to latest and buildworld
>Fix:
- action->len = F_INSN_SIZE(ipfw_insn_pipe);
+ action->len = F_INSN_SIZE(ipfw_insn);

in sbin/ipfw/ipfw2.c