i386/113160: [install] mountroot> prompt during first boot for installation

Glenn Trewitt glenn at trewitt.org
Sun Jul 15 06:50:10 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR i386/113160; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Glenn Trewitt" <glenn at trewitt.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, businessgeeks at pinoy-compuworld.com
Subject: Re: i386/113160: [install] mountroot&gt; prompt during first boot for installation
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:13:43 -0700

 I'm having the same problem on an old-ish VIA system.  FreeBSD does
 find both the hard drive (ad0) and CDROM (acd0).  These are master and
 slave, respectively, on the primary IDE bus.

 When I provide "cd9660:acd0" for the root device, it continues to
 boot, but is (unhappily) booting to multiuser with the R/O filesystem.
  The real problem is that sysinstall isn't automatically started.
 When I run it by hand it seems to work, but the environment is too
 strange for it.  For example, sysinstall can fdisk the hard drive, but
 gets sick when it tries to newfs the partitions - it apparently tries
 to mount them as part of the process and can't create the desired
 mount points in the R/O root.

 I used the same CD to boot another system into sysinstall - everything
 worked as expected.