i386/105204: net/mpd causes a kernel freeze

Gonzalo Arana gonzalo.arana at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 14:50:33 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR i386/105204; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Gonzalo Arana" <gonzalo.arana at gmail.com>
To: "Remko Lodder" <remko at elvandar.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: i386/105204: net/mpd causes a kernel freeze
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:43:36 -0300

 On 11/6/06, Remko Lodder <remko at elvandar.org> wrote:
 > <quote who="Gonzalo A. Arana">
 > > FreeBSD freebsd.arana 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Nov  5
 > > 09:13:36 ART 2006     root at freebsd.arana:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ARANA
 > > i386
 > > when I open a pptp tunel with net/mpd, my machine freezes (numlock does
 > > not respond, for instance).  I've compiled a new kernel without USB and
 > > SCSI/RAID controller support.
 > > ... <snip> ...

 > >>How-To-Repeat:
 > > run:
 > > when I type 'open' inside mpd shell, and after tunnel is UP, the
 > > machine freezes.
 > >>Fix:
 >

 > Hello,
 >
 > Can you please contact the hackers (and/or the ports) mailinglist
 > before submitting a problem report. Although you detail a lot of
 > information (my appriciation for that!) it is good to run this through
 > a couple
 > of people on forehand to make sure this is a problem and not a local
 > misconfiguration or in this case a port problem.  There might also be
 > people that experienced this as well and got it solved already...

 Thanks for your prompt reply & for the pointer.  I am subscribing to
 freebsd-hackers ML.  I'll forward this issue there.

 > Please have a look at
 > http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers (change
 > hackers into ports to get the proper mailinglist for the ports people).
 >
 > I will close the PR till you either file a new one, and/or contact me
 > with the information you found after verifying this on the
 > mailinglists.
 >
 > This is not to make you angry or something, but to make sure we use the
 > resources the best we can and try to help you solve the problem much
 > quicker.

 I am happy to help in anyway I can.  But my gut feeling tells me that
 someone will end up reopening this again here sooner or later: a PC
 should not freeze for a user mode tool misconfiguration, am I right?

 I'll just forward this issue to the hackers ML.

 > Thanks!
 >

 > --
 > Kind regards,
 >
 >    Remko Lodder  ** remko at elvandar.org